Happy June everyone. I wanted to take a second to write a quick check-in post, which I’ll be doing at the beginning of every month now, to let everyone know where I’m at in life and writing, and also so I can get it down in words for myself (read: to make myself feel good).
Three Big Life Events:
1. Last month I graduated from college. That means I’m going to have a lot more free time for writing and such in June, but it also means I’m going to miss my friends and the feeling of being a student.
2. I signed my employment contract for my postgrad job. I start working on July 7th. I’m really excited because I think I’m going to really like what I’m doing, but waking up at 7am everyday is going to be rough.
3. I’m back at the gym again and it feels good. For the last 3 months of school I got lazy – second semester senior year is for drinking, sleeping, and skipping tests, right? – but it’s good to be back. I have a lot more energy and feel great about myself.
Writing Events – Goals for June:
1. I’m into final revisions for Embracing Ghosts. I’ve cut it down to about 88,000 words and I’ll hopefully finish my third edit by the end of the week (my next post will likely be about revision). After I’m done I’ll let a close circle of people read it and get some feedback. It’s definitely the best thing I’ve ever written, and I learned more from finishing it than I have from anything else I’ve done.
2. After finishing the above, I’m going to revise the short story I wrote about in the post ‘Have You Ever Been Struck By Lightning.’ The story is called ‘The Man in the Black BMW’, and like a mother with an ugly baby, I think it’s wonderful. Hopefully it won’t take me longer than a week or two to finish, and I hope to send it off to a few places when short story submission season starts in August.
3. The idea for my next project has been running around in my head for the past 6 months, knocking over shelves and pissing me off, so I can’t wait to start it. The first two weeks of a project are the best – all thinking and no working.
Random Thing for June:
It’s pool season. I grew up swimming – racing since I was six and lifeguarding from ages 15-20 – so needless to say it’ll be great to get back out there. My dad is Moroccan so I turn into an entirely different person when I get some sun, and it’ll be fun to do some work or read by the pool (aka get distracted after a minute and jump in).
What excites you most about June? What do you hope to get done this month?
To make everyone feel better – this guy was probably doing a back flip and ended up fine… maybe.