Uncategorized Writing

11 Pieces of Advice From Writers

no-free-advice-590

1.  “Don’t tell me the moon is shining; show me the glint of light on broken glass.” – Anton Chekhov

2.  “Protect the time and space in which you write. Keep everybody away from it, even the people who are most important to you.” — Zadie Smith

3.  “Write drunk; edit sober.” – Ernest Hemingway

4.  “It’s none of their business that you have to learn to write. Let them think you were born that way.” – Ernest Hemingway

5.  “Substitute ‘damn’ every time you’re inclined to write ‘very’; your editor will delete it and the writing will be just as it should be.” – Mark Twain

6a.  “Say it once, say it well, and move on.” – To be honest, I’m not sure.  I might have made this one up.  If you know who said this please let me know in the comments.

6b.  “Don’t explain.” – Billie Holiday

6c.  “End with an image and don’t explain.” – Stanley Kunitz

7.  “Don’t write to become famous or to make a lot of money.  Write because you love it. Write because not writing for more than a few days feels like you have abandoned a puppy in a mineshaft.  Save the puppy.”  – Joe Beernink

8.  “Start telling the stories that only you can tell, because there’ll always be better writers than you and there’ll always be smarter writers than you. There will always be people who are much better at doing this or doing that — but you are the only you.” ― Neil Gaiman

9.  “If you don’t have time to read, you don’t have the time — or the tools — to write. Simple as that.” – Stephen King

10.  “The nearest I have to a rule is a Post-it on the wall in front of my desk saying ‘Faire et se taire’ (Flaubert), which I translate for myself as ‘Shut up and get on with it.’” — Helen Simpson

11.  “Don’t take anyone’s writing advice too seriously.” – Lev Grossman

Plus one for good luck:

38 comments on “11 Pieces of Advice From Writers

1. Fabulous!

2. Quotes! I love using quotes in my blog posts 😛
    All very inspirational stuff!
    Toby

3. Love it all

4. Thanks so much for the like – and this Ira Glass video!

5. I absolutely love 7 & 8, and I need to remind myself of them with regularity.

6. Reblogged this on Uceta21 and commented:
    Truly helpful.

7. This was great. Number 5 was the one I loved 🙂

8. I just watched the attached video: OMG!! Thank-you! I needed to hear that!!

9. Reblogged this on kinginascent and commented:
    Some inspiration for you before you sit down to write. Me, I use experimental compounds with hallucinogenic properties. Sure I can crank out a few thousand words but have you tried to chase a giant snake out of your living room? 😉 For those of you who don’t want to face ancient gods reborn then let these gentle words ease you onto the waterbed of inspiration and gently tease stories from your tender brainflesh.

10. Loved this! Thanks!

11. They were all great, I couldn’t pick a favorite.

12. The advice on the video was amazing! This was a great collection of advise. Thank you for sharing!

13. Great list! I love numbers 5 and 8.

14. I think #8 sticks to me because I love Neil.

15. Great advice! Thanks for visiting my blog. 🙂

16. You’ve included some of the favorite quotes on writing. I believe my favorite on is still, “One day I will find the right words and they will be simple.” ~ Jack Kerouac.

17. Well I’ve always hated Hemingway, but can’t argue with the man’s philosophy of writing 😉

18. Don’t forget the sage words of Chuck Wendig: “Art harder, motherf*cker!”

19. “End with an image and don’t explain.” – Stanley Kunitz — Love it.

20. I just read a book called Nice Guys Finish Seventh, which is all about how famous people didn’t really say the things that everyone thinks they said. I’m sure all your quotes are accurate though. If they aren’t, they should be! Especially Mr. Hemingway’s. Thanks for a great post!

21. “Write because not writing for more than a few days feels like you have abandoned a puppy in a mineshaft.” That’s a good way to put it. Thanks for stopping by my blog, and good luck with your writing!

22. Love it!
    What about writing when high? 😀
    (For number 3)

23. Reblogged this on The Well-Rounded Writer and commented:
    My favorites? #1, #5, #8.

24. Love no. 11. 😀 Very, very true!

25. Love these quotes, especially 2, 3, and 11!

26. “The art of writing is the art of applying seats of pants to seat of chair.” KIngsley Amis. And thanks for the like!

27. Funny, awesome, insightful, and helpful.

28. Love the quotes but what an awesome video!

29. Reblogged this on H.K. Rowe.

30. Reblogged this on Thoughts by Mello-Elo and commented:
    Fantastic advice for writers…

31. #3 is brilliant. I’ve had a go and was amazed with the results.

32. Reblogged this on Aspirations of Flight and commented:
    A few great points here.

33. awesome!!

34. Reblogged this on BLOGPRESS and commented:
    You might want to read these every time you sit to write!

35. Reblogged this on BLOGPRESS. xD

36. Oops sorry I didn’t know it makes a reblogged comment from your side automatically hahahhah #stupidme

37. All so simple-yet all quite difficult to pull off at the end. 😛